Commercial PAT Testing or Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) is an essential part of commercial building maintenance. During a PAT test, we will examine all of the portable electrical appliances within your premises, to ensure they are safe to use and fully comply with the current Electricity at Work Regulations.
Faulty electrical wiring is responsible for a staggering amount of accidents and business owners who cannot show a record of safety checks may be found liable in the event of injury or fire. Your business insurance may also be void if you are found to have neglected basic safety measures. Therefore, keeping on top of your electrical equipment is of the upmost importance.
Legally speaking, an employer must make sure that all the electrical items within their property are effectively maintained. While many devices can be visually examined, others will require thorough testing, in order for their condition to be assessed.
Our expert engineers have an unmatched understanding of how to find safety defects, using the latest electrical testing equipment and accessories manufactured by Megger® and taking all necessary precautions.
We offer PAT services across London and the South East, including:
- Visual inspections: we will look at all portable appliances, including flex and plug tops
- Fuse and connection inspections: a thorough examination of the wiring within every plug
- Electrical testing: each appliance will be submitted to a series of electrical tests to ensure that it is properly earthed (Earth Continuity Test, Class 1 appliance) and insulated (Insulation Resistance Test, Class 1 and 2 appliance)
- Labelling: we will affix a label to each appliance, indicating whether it has passed or failed, as well as additional information including the test date, re-test date and the Appliance ID number assigned to it
- Records: we will provide a detailed record for each appliance tested, as well as an inventory summary. These records will also be available in an electronic format (WW).
During your PAT inspection, we will ensure that all the portable electrical appliances in use at your commercial or business premises are safe. PAT Testing comes under those Safe Practices that ensure compliance and offer legal protection in the case of potential claims. Insurance companies also require regular PAT and EICR testing records, which we can assist with.
Depending on the type of equipment you own, and the environment in which it is used, the regularity of PAT Testing will differ. For the most part, electrical items in low-risk environments, such as offices and hotels, should be looked at once a year, whereas higher risk premises, such as gyms and construction sites, will need PAT Testing carried out far more frequently. Business owners are encouraged to take a risk-based approach to such matters.
There are three classes of PAT Testing for electrical equipment:
- Class 1 includes appliances with basic insulation that rely on earthing for protection. These include office PCs and photocopiers
- Class 2 appliances benefit from extra insulation and don’t solely rely on earthing for protection. These include the likes of lamps and television sets
- Class 3 items are low voltage and therefore safer. They include items such as cameras and laptops.
We can carry out expert-led PAT Testing at weekends and in the evenings, to prevent disruption or business downtime. We can also arrange to test all appliances in one go, or schedule them in batches across a given time period, in order to work to a schedule that works best for you and your business.